This time last week, what began as my Zucchini Slice, very quickly changed into so, so much more. This is what happens when you bake on a hungry stomach. You snack, you eat the cheese straight from the bag, you begin chucking any vegetable you can find into the mix, you sit and you stare at the oven while it cooks, They say a watched kettle never boils, but they never said nothing about the oven.
Needless to say, this little variation on my slice from a few scrolls of the page back was so brilliant I had to share. Due to the impending doom of my hanger, I did not record the quantities of ingredients – consider this more what you’d call guidelines. Also, if you are a Pirates of the Caribbean fan, I really hope you read that in Geoffrey Rush’s voice. If not, carry on.
- One medium zucchini
- Half a carrot
- Two mini capsicums
- One free range egg
- One liquid egg white (http://iconfoods.com.au/products/simply-egg-whites/)
- One-two slices of My Life Bio Cheddar Cheese slices
- Diced shallots (handful)
- Handful of Parmesan cheese
- One-two slices of Hans Low Sodium Ham (omit if vegetarian)
- Handful of baby tomatoes
- One slice of bread (Purebred for Gluten Free)
- Grate your zucchini and carrot. Transfer these to two separate paper towels, and using another layer of paper towel on top of each, press down to rid the vegetables of excess moisture. Zucchini is very watery so this may need to be done a few times.
- Transfer these to a mixing bowl, adding in the capsicum and shallots (chopped finely).
- Pour in both the egg and egg white.
- Cut the sliced cheese into fine pieces and add to mix.
- You can be fancy and process the bread into crumbs (for this you may need more then one slice). Personally I like chunkier bits, so crumb the bread with my fingers, dropping into the mix.
- The messy part! Mix it all together with a large spoon or your hands - or both!
- Transfer the mix evenly into a greased baking dish. Slice baby tomatoes into halves and layer over the mix.
- Cover with a slice of ham (if using) and the parmesan cheese. Bake for 20-30 mins, or until golden.
- Serve with side salad. Enjoy!
Nat x x x