Have you ever gone back and forth between craving both salad and rice? You want salad, but then, hey there Mr Rice, you're looking pretty swell today too. You're not alone friend, I do this all the time - and no, I don't actually talk to my food. Unless it's dessert. The reason for this battle between the greens and grains is partly because I like them both equally, but mainly because I get hungry and want it all. For example, I wanted salad last night. But, I also wanted rice. It was a debacle my hungry tummy could not handle, so instead, I combined the two, and made a warm rice salad. I served it with crumbed fish and all of a sudden life was all sunshine and lolly pops. (but actually moonlight and ice cream.) I know, I know, I am a genius but stop - you're making me blush.
I know the idea of a warm rice salad ain't exactly new or rocket science, but this what I did, and it will fast become a staple. It developed with me telling my mum to shout out vegetable names while I picked the ones I liked the sound of and tossed them into the pan. Well done mum, but use your inside voice.
- Spring Onion / Shallot
- Spinach Leaves
- Cup of Rice
- Baby Sweet Tomatoes
- Balsamic Dressing
- Olive Oil Spray
- Any extra veg of choice - If I were to add I would go with peas and/or sweet corn.
- Pre cook your rice.
- Lightly spray a sauce pan and add softened rice.
- Dice veggies and toss through rice.
- Pour in dressing - up to 30-50ml is enough depending on how strong you like the taste and of course if you are adding more rice / veg. This is a single serve.
- Cook on low heat until warmed through - add a splash of water if starts to dry out.
- Serve with fish, chicken, or whatever your tummy desires (I'd say heart but we all know that's the same thing). Also, a little sprinkle of parmesan never goes astray.
Nat x x x