Right. I have a tendency to think about food a lot. I like food. I like to make food and I certainly like to eat food. I was thinking about both these concepts on Saturday night when I thought of a recipe to try - stemming from my donut cupcakes. I thought of creating actual donuts and dipping them in chocolate. I thought about this so much in fact, that while it would have been perfectly acceptable, and probably more logical, to have waited until morning to create them, I did not. Instead, here's me at 10.30pm in the kitchen covered in flour and melted chocolate - because a) I find it impossible to cook without wreaking havoc on the kitchen (sorry ma!) and b) I could think of nothing better to be covered in - short of gelato - then chocolate. And so, without further ado, I give you the product of some late night cravings... enjoy! Oh, and don't forget to tag me in your creations! :) @natalieshaw_xo
For the Donuts
- 1g ground cinnamon
- 1g ground nutmeg
- 140g All Purpose Gluten Free Flour
- 150g unrefined caster sugar
- 40ml Canola Oil (can substitute for other oils or melted margarine)
- 90ml Almond Milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 large egg (or egg replacer for vegan option)
- Pinch of gluten free baking powder
For the Cinnamon Topping:
- 1g ground cinnamon
- 50g of the same sugar as above
- Approx 30-50 melted margarine (nuttlex for vegan option)
For the Chocolate:
- Simple really - a block of chocolate. I used Moo Free which is FODMAP friendly, gluten free and vegan.
- Mix together all cupcake ingredients in a bowl to form a nice, thick batter.
- Pour into donut moulds / tin.
- Bake at 180 degrees for approx 20-30 minutes.
- Take out to cool slightly, while melting the margarine in the microwave. Should only need 20 seconds, not even!
- Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a bowl
- While donuts are still warm, dip one side into the melted margarine and then the bowl of cinnamon and sugar mix to coat.
- Let these cool and set while you melt the block of chocolate. I did 30 seconds in the microwave to give it a kick start while filling the sink with hot water. I placed my heat proof bowl of now soft chocolate into this and stirred until melted. We all have our own tricks to this - do whichever way you see fit!
- Dip the next side of the donuts in the melted chocolate and place into the fridge for 30 minutes or so to set.
- Easiest step of all - eat :)
- Hardest step - share!
Until next time.. Nat x x x