This dish is one that is pretty damn well known all over the world (I could be making that up, don't hold me to it), and one that was handed down from my mum's nan (I didn't make that one up). It is packed full with veges, flavour and despite the name, is rat free. Although, I think there was a movie with a rat of the same name? Nevertheless! Ratatouille, whether you have or haven't heard of it, is the absolute best. Don't believe me? Try it and I dare you to disagree. You can't? didn't think so.
- Tomatoes - being a tomato based dish the more the merrier!
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Chicken / Mince (or leave out to keep it vegetarian)
PS I am not adding quantities here - this is the kinda meal you always want seconds of. And leftovers for lunch. And okay, maybe there was a third helping to.
- Easy as pie this dish! Simply give your pan a coat of the oil and keep on heat.
- Chop up all vegetables - quite thin slices - and add to pan. Tomatoes are better kept a bit chunkier.
- Add some more oil and even a sprinkle of ground sea salt.
- Add your chosen meat if doing so.
- Cook on medium to high heat (best results in one that has a lid, but not necessary)
- Constantly stir, should take roughly 20 minutes to half hour for all the juices of the ingredients to combine.
- Serve with rice or do as I opted to when I last made this: atop pumpkin and potato mash. This is made exactly the same way as potato mash, simply adding in pumpkin and lessening the amount of milk/margarine as the pumpkin has more water weight.
- Eat up!
Nat x x x