You there! Over by the window, do you like donuts? Of course you like donuts, stupid question really. Okay then, what is your favourite kind of donut? Cinnamon, you say! Mine too dear friend, mine too. Cupcakes! Do you like them?? You do?!? Well isn't this a cute little bonding sesh. You know what would make it super fun though? Cinnamon Donut flavoured cupcakes. You think so too? Good, bake them.
For the cupcakes:
- 1g ground cinnamon
- 1g ground nutmeg
- 140g All Purpose Gluten Free Flour
- 150g unrefined caster sugar
- 40ml Canola Oil (can substitute for other oils or melted margarine)
- 90ml Almond Milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 large egg
- Pinch of gluten free baking powder
For the Cinnamon Topping:
- 1g ground cinnamon
- 50g of the same sugar as above
- Approx 30-50 melted margarine (nuttlex for vegan option)
- Mix together all cupcake ingredients in a bowl to form a nice, thick batter. Try not to eat it. Even one spoon. It might not make it to the oven, spoken by a true cake batter addict.
- Pour into cupcake or muffin tins (lightly greased. Or heavily. I don't make the rules here.)
- Bake at 180 degrees for approx 20-30 minutes.
- Take out to cool slightly, while melting the margarine in the microwave. Should only need 20 seconds, not even!
- Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a bowl
- While cupcakes are still warm, dip into the melted margarine and then the bowl of cinnamon and sugar mix to coat.
And there you have it! The worlds greatest recipe ever. And I'm only a tiny bit biased. The only dilemma I am having is this: if they call the croissant cross donut a cronut what do these become? A Cupnut? A Docup perhaps? I'll let you ponder that while I eat the first batch.
One more thing before I love and leave you - I mean this bonding sesh was cute while it lasted, but I have cupcakes now so.. - I did something a little crazy the other day. Genius even. I doubled the portions, made these little guys into a Tea Cake and served with peanut butter instead of the cinnamon topping. It was great. It was more than great. It was beyond great. It was something you should most definitely try, and as always, tag me in your creations! @natalieshaw_xo :)
Nat x x x